Tuesday 3 May 2011

Sweet Bedtimes

Tucking you in bed is one of my favorite things to do.  It's one of those things that I feel we do really well around here.  We let you know ahead of time that in a few minutes it's time for dodo.  Of course we do all the essential preparations involving washing up and brushing your teeth.  Then we collect your blankies (there are two, one of which is falling apart) and you call for daddy - "daddy pay, daddy pay".  Mommy and daddy kneel beside your bed and ask what/who we should pray for .  Right now we are the ones making the suggestions, but we know that one day you will be able to start making prayer requests of your own.  After prayer you want daddy to leave the room and you ask me to tell you a story or sing a song.  Your usual requests are "Teddy Bear's Picnic" or "Rock-a-bye Baby" (wok bebe).  And when I get to the end of the song you put your little pointer finger up and say "one more tiiiiimmme". 
Something that gives me a chuckle:  When I raise my eyebrows while telling a story, you like to poke my forehead when it wrinkles. 
You can be sure mommy is in the mirror afterwards and wondering when those wrinkles started. 
Most times I like to linger by your bed and chat about the day or about what's going to happen tomorrow.  You seem to like this, and you will even bring up what something special that we did weeks ago.  Right now you like to remember the time when you and I went to Bellingham.  We visited the mall and we rode on the little train ride and then tried on some pretty dresses (pwe dwess).
From time to time, mommy will let you lay beside me in my bed while I read.  The intention is that you will just drift happily off to sleep.  This usually never works.  You are easily stimulated and too excited about being in my bed and you start to chatter and wiggle.  And flop.  And chatter.  And lean over me and try to leaf through the pages of my book while I am trying to read it.  I have to say, it's one of the most endearing things as you are so cute doing it.  I indulge you.  For awhile.  Then when I feel my eyes closing, and I know you are still going strong, I call for daddy to come put you in your bed.  This never suits you.  You usually cry.  Which is why I suppose it's just better to put you in your bed in the first place.  

1 comment:

  1. Misty,
    Love this post - such 'sweet' times creating precious memories!! Awesome!
    xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete